Saturday, February 25, 2012

I was trying to reach the rainbow

Frustrated by the news of Friday's clashes in Jerusalem and violence in Al Khalil (Hebron) I attempted to go to Qalandia checkpoint amid news that clashes had broken out there. I weaved through the mess of Kufr Akkab, which is disenfranchised by the Palestinian Authority and Israel and literally sits in filth, potholes, and busted water pipes.


Finally I turned onto the main road where the UN Boys School is located, only to find that traffic was so backed up that cars were driving along the gutter, going against traffic. I slowed down, unable to see the actual checkpoint. It was obvious it was shut down. Cars were coming at  me from the wrong direction, including an ambulance. That is when I spotted this rainbow


Whether or not it was the young martyr, Talat Ramia, who was on that ambulance will always be on my mind. I turned around and ran against traffic just like the others. I followed the ambulance back home, as I live next door to the hospital where martyrs die. I saw the ambulance head back to the checkpoint for more. I got out of the car, went inside, had lunch.

The noise of sirens does not bother me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment